Saturday 25 November 2017


SAFE DELIVERY FOR ALL

Sunday 19TH November 2017, was a memorable day for me because for the first time, I took part in the MTN Kampala Marathon. The tag line ‘improve maternal health’ resonated well with me and got me doing what I would ideally not do. See, the thing is am not the kind of person that loves sports and neither am I a fitness freak. While I appreciate the two and have respect for those that are sporty and into fitness, it have not developed a discipline or passion for any.  I took part in the MTN Kampala marathon because I believe in the cause to improve maternal health. Thankfully, I made it through the 10kms brisk walking with my sister Juliet Aribaruho in just 1hour 45minutes.

I am a mother of two beautiful girls who are our special gifts from God because for each one of them, the pregnancies had their fair share of complications. In 2010, a couple of months after our wedding, we were excited to learn that I was with child. As a young couple, we looked forward to every milestone and every antenatal visit so that we could hear and learn more about the new family member.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            This was not long lived as we were broken by the news of loosing the pregnancy after 5months of a seamless pregnancy journey. It was sudden, it happened so fast, it was heart breaking and draining in many ways. It surely wasn’t how we expected the journey to go. What made it worse, was that it almost took my life along. I was hospitalized for two weeks because I lost too much blood at delivery and had to go through a theatre procedure to stop the bleeding and save my life. We had God by our side, an amazing amazing doctor- Dr R. Busingye, great support from my boss Lamin M, our parents and siblings, family and friends through these freaky two weeks.  Understanding the extent of the problem made us appreciate the fact that we had access to a highly qualified obs/gyn, good health facility and the financial muscle to afford it all. We got to learn that I almost slipped through to the other life while in theatre.

Having had such an experience and knowing the risks associated with pregnancies, I am convinced beyond reasonable doubt that many of the maternal death we see can been prevented.

I pledge to play a part in improving maternal health and it starts now. #MTNKampalamarathon

What’s your pledge?  
#improvesomeoneslife

No comments:

Post a Comment