Saturday 25 November 2017

KNOWING HE IS THE ONE
 
Before I got married, I dated a few fine men that pretty much seemed serious. However, the moment I thought about spending the rest of my life with the person, fear gripped me and this made me call it quits for the relationship. I did not like the fact that I was disappointing someone, but I knew it wasn’t fair for me to keep the relationship going for months knowing well that I wouldn’t commit to them or be happy if we got married. Like the saying goes, bad news is not like wine, it doesn’t get better with time. So I always came clean as early as I possibly could on my feelings about someone and the relationship. The cliché statement 'sorry, we can only be friends, always came in handy' 
When I met my husband at the end of 2008, he told me so much about himself on our second date some of it not being pleasant. Strange thing is this did not create any anxiety within me like I think it should have. On the third date which was within the same week, he told me that he had made up his mind and wanted to marry me. This is the point at which I fled....too much pressure. How does someone tell you abut a not so rosy past, say they have made up their mind that they want to marry you in just two days and that doesn't freak you out? I hardly knew this guy. He could be hiding something for all I know, that is why he wants to put a ring on it before I figure him out.
No I actually didn’t flee. I had so much peace about the possibility of us getting married that the thought warmed up my heart. I knew in that moment that he was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. The 'Peace' I felt about us getting married and spending the rest of our lives together was confirmation to me that 'He is the one'.
One of my favourite scriptures has since been Philippians 4:6-7 (ESV) Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the Peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
If you don't have peace about that relationship, drop it before you walk down the aisle and believe God for a relationship in which you will be happy and feel secure.
#marriageisGodsidea

No comments:

Post a Comment