Saturday 18 November 2017


PART 2. NO NEED TO PROVE YOURSELF

Lessons from Jesus’ temptation in the wilderness (continued)

I have fasted a few times in my life but never have I been able to pull off a total dry fast for more than two days. My preference is to always break the fast at 5/6pm with a proper meal and then have noting until the next day same time. I will do this for one day, three days or a week depending on what I feel compelled to do. I have tried the other types of fasts like dry fast, fluids only or the Daniel fast but I have accepted that they are not my portion.   Jesus fasted 40 days and 40 nights and the scriptures say, he was hungry when the devil came to tempt him.

Mathew 4:2-4

After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”

Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’[b]

Now I can’t imagine what someone who has been fasting 40 days and forty nights would be going through. By the time the scripture categorically says he was hungry, I believe that Jesus had reached his breaking point. The problem I believe was not in the turning of stones into bread, but the quick realization that the devil was trying to plant seed of doubt in the mind of Jesus.  The devil was provoking Jesus by questioning his identity in God.  

Often times, we are faced with the same provocations. Are you really saved? Does God really love you? If you are the child of God, then pray and let us see an instant miracle. I encourage you to counter these thoughts, words or people with the word of God.   

Take out: Don’t give into the provocations of the devil when he starts to question your identity in Christ. You do not need to prove yourself to him or to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment